According to information provided by the Brandywine Conservancy, the Brandywine River once supported over 125 mills, including steel mills in Coatesville, grist mills in Chadds Ford and gunpowder mills in Delaware.
All kinds of mills were located along the Brandywine. In the 18th century, mills on the Brandywine produced most of the paper used in the area. In 1776, paper from the mills along the Brandywine was used to print Declaration of Independence.
Around the time of the same time, flour mills along the Brandywine Rive produced “super fine” flour that was shipped to many American cities, as well as Europe and the West Indies.
The Brandywine River remains a beautiful recreation and environmental sanctuary that deserves Pennsylvania’s 2017 River of the Year award!